The British defeated Tipu Sultan in the Fourth Mysore war in 1799, they took over the Bangalore Fort and built a small chapel called Drummers chapel in 1803. This was the first church to be built in Bangalore. In 1812 this was shifted outside the fort area and was called the Fort church, which was used as a place of worship for English soldiers. Over a century this church ministered to the families living in the suburb area
A need was felt by the Mysore government to construct Vani Vilas Hospital and it was found that this church in the fort area was in the way. The government allotted the present site for the new church. The foundation stone was laid by Sir Mirza Ismail the then Dewan of Mysore. It was completed and dedicated in the name of St. Luke by the Lord Bishop of Madras Rt. Rev. E H M Waller on the 9th March1935.